I haven’t blogged for a while. No wait, “a while” is a bit of an understatement. It’s been ages. I’m not even sure why, because I was really starting to get into the proverbial swing of things.
I think last year was a bit of a roller-coaster year for me, particularly the second half. As you may or may not know, I had to leave Dubai as a result of visa issues. After moving jobs and joining a really great ad agency, my @#%&-ing ex-employers (feel free to pay a visit to their website http://www.avantcommunication.com and then send as many rude and nasty emails as you like) decided to be completely petty and spiteful and cancel my visa. Which meant I could no longer stay on in the UAE. Which meant I had to come home.
There were quite a couple of “things” I was pretty sad to say goodbye to, including a great guy (no, I’m not objectifying men – just not sure how else to say it). I actually still have a suitcase full of clothes and shoes at aforementioned great guy’s apartment (thank you Sinan. I will make a plan to come over and retrieve my belongings sometime in the next few months). So, to be honest, I can’t say I was over the moon when I landed in Cape Town at the beginning of October.
But, wow, has that changed. I’ve really had an amazing past (almost) three and half months.
– Watching Niel de Waal Meiring (check out his great blog here) do an Native American rain dance at the Halloween Jam
– Climbing Lion’s Head with two of my best friends (and seeing some very attractive men along the way. Sorry, that’s not really relevant)
– Meeting some really, really great people
– Watching DIE KRIEL (more on him later, kids) downing double brandy-and-Cokes and teaching his spectators how to do the “KRIELkreet”
– My cousin’s wedding, which was definitely one of the best I’ve been to
– Danni de Raedt’s numerous (usually inappropriate) comments and pearls of wisdom
– Dancing to “My Sharona” with my number one dancing partner, Nina Nelson, as the clock struck 12 on my 25th birthday
– An amazing road trip, filled with beach bats, beer shandies, Asshole (nothing dodgy – just the card game) and plenty of laughter, with some of the coolest people you could ever wish to call your friends
There are quite a few more, but I’ll leave it at that.
And now I’m back from holiday. And it’s a new year. And, quite strangely, I’m feeling pretty optimistic and excited about it.
So on that note, I thought I’d share with you some of my resolutions/goals/whatever you’d like to call them for the year:
– Get fit. And run the Two Oceans Half Marathon in April with Kristen Parris
– Start using body lotion regularly (this is quite a mission for me)
– Give vegetarianism a go (I’ve already cut out red meat, so now I just need to ditch chicken)
– Not drink and drive
– Work on my phone answering skills – because, I’m not going to lie, they’re pretty damn shocking at the moment
– Either buy myself a motorbike (a Triumph Bonneville T100 would be a-m-a-z-i-n-g, but I think I’m maybe being a bit optimistic here), or go on an overseas holiday, before the year
– BLOG REGULARLY (seriously. No, seriously)
– Try to be less cynical and less self-critical
– Learn all the capital cities I don’t know (you can quiz me next time you see me out)
– Do more “stuff” (also nothing dodgy, I promise). Like weekends away and hikes and beach missions and random excursions
I would include “Stop biting my nails”, but I think I’ll leave that for 2012.
So here’s to a new year, and all the (hopefully) good things it (hopefully) has in store for us.
Ps. I know this post is slightly more serious (dull?) than my others. Don’t worry, I’ll try to be funnier and wittier (that’s for you, Niel) in my next one.